Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Meanderings After Vietnam

Vietnam and History
Visiting Vietnam meant relearning history. That is if learning history from Hollywood or novels would count. It felt like you have to be there in Vietnam to understand the war and its ill effects especially the use of chemical weapons. Everyone loses.

Vietnam and President Ho Chi Minh
The Vietnamese veneration for President Ho Chi Minh as evidenced in its museums and the preservation of the mausoleum was a revelation to me. Sure we have Rizalistas and loyalists of some politicians and religious leaders in the Philippines but such following cannot compare with the magnitude of Vietnam’s hero-worship. This makes me look at the current state of Philippine politics. We are in dire need of a statesman/stateswoman.



Vietnam and the Cu Chi Tunnels



The day after my friend Maita and I visited the Cu Chi tunnels and made our way almost crawling inside the underground tunnel system used by the Vietnamese soldiers during the war, I had a belated aftershock. I woke up thinking whatever made us go underground and experience the suffocating, dark and narrow tunnel. We were there for probably barely a minute but it felt like years. I cannot imagine what it was like for the combatants back then.

(If you plan to visit the tunnels yourself, don’t forget to bring a mosquito repellant)

Vietnam and the Temple of Literature
Their school has such a highfalutin sounding name - - - Temple of Literature. From the name itself you cannot seem to question the great minds that walked its halls and gardens.

Vietnam and the Water Puppet Show
The Water Puppet Show was different and interesting. I’ve never seen one before. I especially liked the dragon and the fish jumping scenes. The chanting fascinated me. I wondered if the music experts could judge if they were in tune.

The seating arrangement bewildered me. Although I’m small, I could hardly fit in their cramped theater-seating style. It was worse than seating coach on an airplane. You have to stand up so your seat could fold up allowing space for other spectators to pass through. It was clearly a fire hazard. Somewhere between the beginning and end of the show, I am sure each member of the audience said a silent prayer for safety.

The ticket cost also confused me. We were seated already in the middle of the theater and that was already the higher price. There really was no defining distinction between our seat and the one at the last row. So I think.

Overall, I still enjoyed the show. I recommend you watch it when you are in Hanoi. Just don’t forget to pray.


Vietnam and Halong Bay
Halong Bay, a UNESCO world heritage site is like a combination of Coron and the Hundred Islands in the Philippines. The not so organized tour going there was an inconvenience that did not undermine my appreciation of the beauty of the place. We found islands, caves with wondrous stalagmite formations, and floating villages. The boat trip was an adventure in itself as we could only trust the “captains” as they bumped each other’s boats when docking and leaving the pier.



Vietnam and its Bumpers
We experienced a number of bumps in Vietnam, not only the “bumper” boats in Halong Bay. When we made our way to the Reunification Palace, people riding their motorcycles on their way in were competing with us on one small entrance. They looked like they were poised to bump us. Thankfully, the guards intervened and let us pedestrians walk in first. Then when walking from place to place, people managed to bump us. Why oh why? I guess the places were small, or maybe we were occupying too much of their area, or as my friend pondered they just don’t have the concept of personal space.


Vietnam and the Hustlers
Sadly, like the Philippines, Vietnam has its share of hustlers. We paid 60-75 thousand dong for an otherwise 40 thousand dong taxi ride. As a way of farewell, I was duped by a cyclo driver who convinced me the bus station was so far that I had to take a 10 thousand dong ride. It turned out I was just one corner away. The trees just blocked my view. :-(


Vietnam and the Vietnamese

With their long noses, they are fairly a good looking bunch. I complain to my friend from time to time how I envy their noses. Just how come we Filipinos were not there when long noses were handed out? We were lining up somewhere else perhaps.

Now, there are no lines where we were at in Vietnam. It was each man/woman for himself/herself. Come to think of it, some places in the Philippines are like that. Even in taking the communion where though there is a line, there is a scramble to who goes first.


Amid the chaotic North and South Vietnam were some friendly faces too - - - people at the hotels, restaurants, and even some cab drivers. Thank you very much!!!

No comments: