Saturday, August 04, 2007

LUCK

I am going to boldly make a claim.

I am lucky. Really, really, really lucky.

SAVORING TOKYO ON A TIGHT BUDGET

Even with my semi-retired state, I was able to enjoy Tokyo and Miyake-jima with family. Despite Tokyo’s reputation for being one of the most expensive cities in the world, it was one of my least expensive trips.




Thanks to my aunt, Gemma, my cousins Paulette, Therese & Glen, my cousin Paulette’s special friend Minh, and her colleagues in Miyake-jima who wholeheartedly shared their blessings with me. Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart!




I like Tokyo. I like the city, the buildings, the trains, the subways, the suburbs, the architecture, the food, the cleanliness, the technology, and the discipline interspersed with the hint of “rebellion” as shown in their “whatever goes park,” the goth kids and the flamboyant outfits in Takeshita-dori.



I like Miyake-jima.



I like the peace and quiet, the rock formations, the peridot-laden shore, the lush forest view from the school’s rooftop where the swimming pool lay, the laid back feeling even with availability of internet and technology, and of course the people.





One remarkable thing about going places is actually meeting people and getting to know them beyond how they are portrayed in the movies, in the news or in history.

When it comes to hospitality, I thought that’s OUR (Filipinos) turf. Humbled was I when I realized, the Japanese could give us a run for our money. Paulette’s colleagues and students were so sweet and thoughtful.



They organized for us a very hearty and authentic Japanese dinner and went out of their way to see us off the island --- complete with festive and colorful ribbons!



They welcomed us in their yoga class and were very receptive with our tinikling! (Paulette and Therese danced. Glen and I tapped the bamboos. Hehehe)



Added bonus: The Japanese embassy changed their visa application procedure to applying only with designated agencies and processing in Manila just right after I obtained my visa in Cebu without any intermediary.


THE PROSPECT OF AN LLM ON A SCHOLARSHIP


Roughly seven days after Tokyo, my chance of getting a Master’s in Law on a scholarship became more reachable with an approved US student visa! I am still exhilarated at the thought of being a Domer! Thank you, Notre Dame and all its benefactors! Thank you to my family too especially my parents, and my sisters Michelle and Mary Ann for taking care of some of the costs.


PIECES OF GOOD FORTUNE AFTER BEING LEFT BY THE PLANE

Six days after my student visa was issued, I was left by the plane. I thought my flight to Cebu was at 1:30 PM. It turned out to be at 1:00 PM and I arrived at the airport just 5 minutes before that. I had to extend my stay in Manila.

Fortunately, it was not a series of unfortunate events. Because of that, I was able to help my friends with the 6th Workshop of the Working Group for an ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism, stay and eat meals at a 5-star hotel, spend more time with friends in Manila, support and accompany my sister Mary Ann, and some other wonderful and charming things besides. ;-)


PIECES OF GOOD FORTUNE AFTER FLIGHT DELAYS AND BEING BUMPED OFF


Eight days after my two-week stay in Manila, I was not able to catch my plane to Washington DC through Doha. This time, I was not at fault. Qatar airways could not check me in because they were overbooked and there were no more available seats. Nine of us were bumped off.

As compensation they provided us hotel stay with meals and a choice of a travel voucher amounting to $200 (one-year travel validity) or an upgrade. I chose the latter.

So, a dream has come true--- to travel in business class at an international flight. Yeehah! What luuuuuuuxury!

The delay also allowed me to pack my bags better, buy more “tugons”, meet up with more friends, talk with a VSO Bahaginan representative regarding my application to volunteer with them, spend time with family, converse with Lola Lelen, and feel rich at the Hilton.


Did I mention I’m lucky?

Seriously, it’s not just about luck but about faith in the Lord--- Faith that with Him, all things will be alright.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

no, ate myrf, you're not lucky. you are super blessed! =)