“When I grow up, I want to be Myrfi.”
That’s my 24-year old brother’s way of lovingly mocking me of my good fortune of having the opportunity to travel abroad even with my jobless status.
When people ask me updates about my life and they learn I am scheduled for a 3-month vacation (not counting my vacation in Cebu), they comment, “Hayahaya ah!”
I do agree. Sometimes, the thought embarrasses me. While others worry about earth-shattering concerns, (like finishing the Cebu International Convention Center before the ASEAN summit begins, perhaps?) I ponder about flight schedules to get to visit friends. I’m no billionaire but I feel really blessed.
Now, let us scan the list of The World’s Richest People. According to Forbes, 793 of them are all billionaires. Three of them are from the Philippines, namely, Lucio Tan with 1.7 Billion, ranked 451st; Henry Sy & Family with 1.5 Billion, ranked 512th; and Jaime Zobel de Ayala & Family with 1.3 Billion, ranked 606th. Bill Gates ranked first with 50 Billion followed by Warren Buffet with 42 Billion. Donald Trump is only 278th on that list with 2.6 Billion and Oprah Winfrey ranked 562nd with 1.4 Billion Dollars.
Do they ever feel guilty about being so wealthy? Tessa Prieto-Valdes, the Filipina socialite is not apologizing for it, according to a newspaper article I read years ago.
After some reflection, I remember that blessings are gifts from above. They should be accepted sans embarrassment, guilt or apologies. They should be accepted with a grateful heart.
If we really carefully think about it, we all have our own billions of things to be thankful for. So join me in a song of praise! Then in unison, let us all say,
“When I grow up, I want to be me!”
---------------------------------
“Hayahaya” is a Cebuano term that can be roughly translated to describing a person‘s luck to be so carefree.
The author wishes to thank her family and friends for sponsoring her vacations- - - her sister Mary Ann for her vacation in Cebu, her sister Michelle for her plane ticket, her parents for the upcoming Florida trip, her brother for the future Texas trip, her cousin Jenny for her upcoming stay in LA, her friend Cherry & Family for her future stay in Texas, her sisters’ friends (Alma, Lyndon, Ethel and Mervin) for her other trips, and all her other future hosts and sponsors. *Wink, wink.*
No comments:
Post a Comment