
I am proud to be Filipino. Millions of Filipinos were proud to be Filipinos after Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao beat Erik "El Terrible" Morales last Sunday.
Millions of people around the world watched the fight. The Philippines could have been dubbed as a nation of ghost towns that particular morning. There was no soul aimlessly walking in the streets. Almost everyone was glued to their televisions or wide screens airing the battle. Excitement and exhilaration was all over the place.
I promised not to watch for I could not understand how boxing could be considered a sport. Then I tried to be open about it and see what the fuss is all about. It still left me confused. The win and the “proud to be Pinoy” fever got me more confused.
How could a competition with the sole aim of knocking out a competitor or maiming him or beating him up or plainly injuring his body be a source of great joy? How can this be art? How can this be not a crime?
How can millions of eyes not see what boxing really is. It is sick.
I am proud to be Filipino. And I don’t need a boxing match to proudly say that.
------------------------------
Picture downloaded from www.mannypacquiao.ph
No comments:
Post a Comment