Monday, September 24, 2007

The Pinoy Usyusera (Sakto ba Spelling?)

Our intercom rang. I answered it. I did not quite catch the first few lines of what he said but this is what I heard…

“….open the door please….”


I debated on whether to ask further who he was and what his business was in our building or just take a risk that he had no bad intentions and save me the challenge of having to find the American English way of getting my message across.

I took the risk. But in order to rid my conscience of any guilt, I checked to see who the person was. It turned out they were a bunch of policemen.

I then realized that what he probably said was, “This is the police, open the door please!”

Whew. I wonder what their reaction was had I “interrogated” them before I let them in? Would they have recruited me to the force? Hahaha!

Curious why they were at our building? So was I. Thus, I could not help but ask them if there was any problem. As if I could help them. ;-)

Nitubag man sad! They answered that they just received a call. They went up the stairs and got back down in less than a minute while I was just at my open door observing.

Is it just Pinoy nature to be so usyusera? I’ve been told otherwise. My colleague from Congo shared to me once that they were just as curiosity-seekers as we Filipinos are.

So anyway, was there action in the building that time? Nope. But the next day there sure was!

No comments: